Thursday 11 June 2020

Letter to a Banyan tree


Dear Banyan

What does it take to be like you? I see you umpteen times a day standing tall and strong and feel dwarfed by your grandeur. The strongest of winds barely manage to ruffle your feathers. It takes repeated attempts at trying to contain your spread with walls and trenches and yet you do not stop growing. No matter how hard they try, the wind is your messenger and carries your seed far and wide. You never stop being a shelter to any bird that perches on your branches. You provide the coolest shade even under the strongest sun. You exude beauty even without the sweet smelling blossoms. You are a silent witness to history but never the one to participate because you remember your purpose of existence. Who else deserves to be worshipped like you. 

I do not wish to be revered. But I do pray you to give me the strength to grow roots wherever I am planted, no matter how many times I am uprooted. Give me the tenacity to stand tall in face of the harshest winds and the blazing sun. Let me continue to survive knowing the sweetness of water even if the ground beneath my feet is parched. Please do teach me to always remember who I am than being pulled into the changing world around me.

I know a number of hearts would break if someday you weren't around. That would be a life lived well. That would be your answer to years of history lying forgotten in books. And you will continue to live in stories passed on to generations. 

I sincerely hope you will continue to pull me back to yourself no matter how far I might drift. And I know you will always be there..


No comments :

Post a Comment