Saturday 27 June 2020

Akshayvat, Majhi, Lucknow/ Giant Banyan Tree of Lucknow

Just as I was preparing to pen down another beautiful memory, I was suddenly reminded of the Giant Banyan Tree at Majhi Village (Lucknow). At the onset of last summer, I managed to cajole my best friend for a short early morning visit to one of the largest banyan canopy in the country, which happened to be located on the outskirts of Lucknow. During a random internet search, I had read about it here and here. While the scientific aspects are elaborated in the shared links, I could only gaze at it in awe.


 
                                                               

While the tree isn't particularly renowned like the Giant Banyan of Calcutta, anonymity helps in that this single-tree-forest has survived unscathed amongst the expansive mango orchards all around. In line with the reverence bestowed upon all things natural by the religious minded, there's an ashram nestled beneath this huge umbrella. While millions flock to a nearby (unimpressive) Parijaat Tree, this natural wonder is largely unknown to even the devotees of nearby Temple.



While I hope and pray that this shaded canopy remains untouched by the 'development' all around, I shall treasure the serenity of the location at the time of my visit. I shall always remember this tree as the banyan that stands around the corner in most neighbourhoods of this country, where children play, women worship and adults sit down for their daily gossip. I hope in an effort to 'showcase' it, it doesn't end up being damaged like the fabled Parijaat. 

Stand tall dear one. I look up to the likes of you
Your tenacity and strength reminds me of the root bridges in another part of this country.
I will remember my Happiness beneath your shade.




https://outreachecology.com/landmark/resources/the-largest-trees-in-the-world/
https://www.greenogreindia.org/manjhi-akshayavat-lucknows-immortal-banyan-tree/

2 comments :

  1. गहन सघन मनमोहन वन तरु मुझको आज बुलाते हैं
    किन्तु किये जो वादे मैंने याद मुझे आ जाते हैं
    अभी कहाँ आराम बदा, यह नेह-निमंत्रण छलना है
    अरे अभी सोने से पहले मुझको मीलों चलना है
    अरे अभी सोने से पहले मुझको मीलों चलना है
    फ्रोस्ट बाय बच्चन

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely discovery Ma’am! :)
    So good to see how serene nature stays when untouched!!
    Very true about how whatever we humans touch, we slowly bring in decay to it :(

    ReplyDelete